The Centre for Marketing in Emerging Economies (CMEE) at IIM Lucknow aims to be a globally recognized centre of excellence for pursuing original research and imparting quality education in the area of marketing, with a specific mandate to contribute towards better understanding of emerging economy markets and challenges therein for marketing practitioners.
Apart from conducting advanced research and running continuous education programs, the centre will also act as a platform for academicians and practitioners in selected emerging geographies to collaborate with each other effectively.
The idea of the centre originated from an international marketing conference that was successfully hosted by IIM Lucknow at its Noida campus between 13-14 January 2012. The conference not only saw presentation of more than 170 research papers, many of those were recognized globally. As many as 25 of the papers presented in the conference were published in acclaimed marketing journals such as International Journal of Market Research, Marketing Intelligence and Planning and Journal of Product and Brand Management.
The centre functions as a self-sustained profit centre and is run by its Chairperson Prof. S. B. Dash, with able guidance from an eminent panel of academicians and practitioners who constitute its governing board. The members of this body include Prof. S. L. Rao, former Director General of National Council for Economic and Applied
Research (NCEAR); Mr. Pramod Bhasin, Vice Chairman, Genpact, Prof. Devi Singh, Director, IIM Lucknow; Mr. T. S. Mohan Krishnan, Vice President, IMRB; Mr. Mrutyunjay Mishra, Director, Juxt and Prof. Moutsy Maity, IIM Lucknow.
Prof.Naresh Malhotra serves as Chairman of Apex Board.
The major objective of CMEE is to establish itself as a vital and lively resource centre for scholars, academicians, marketing research practitioners and corporations from around the world, who have interest in emerging economy markets. The vision and mission laid down for the centre are:
To be the globally recognized Centre for Marketing that studies, understands and educates about consumers, business and public policies towards marketing in Emerging Economies.
To promote research of international standard and facilitate knowledge transformation in emerging economies as the credible source of ‘ marketing information’, ‘consumer behavior’, ‘business competitiveness’, ‘dynamics of economy, technology, socio-political situation on marketing and public policies towards marketing’. The centre will facilitate the exchange of ideas and experiences between academic scholars, marketing managers, research practitioners, concerned public policy makers and moulders of public opinion including the media.
Strong foundation of the CMEE:
The successful execution of the international conference with participation from 26 countries academia and practitioners has already laid the foundation for the centre. It is commendable that of the 174 papers presented in the conference around 25 quality papers were published as 4 special issues and 1 regular issues of internationally acclaimed referred journals. It was agreed that future papers should have a larger focus on the special features of these markets, and not aim merely at issuing a large number of papers.
This has also led to the formation of International Conference board with successful partnership possibilities with scholars in institutes across the following countries:
- Brazil: Prof. Edgard Barki, Marketing, Fundaçao Getulio Vargas (FGV), São Paulo University (Number one in brazil, 27th in the list of the World’s Top Think Tanks)
- Russia: Prof. Olga Tretyak , Head of Strategic Marketing, Faculty of Management, National Research University at St. Petersburg (Number two in Russia)
- China: Prof. LU Wei, Prof. of Marketing and Associate Dean, Antai College of Economies and Management, Shanghai Jiao Tong University (only triple accredited — AASSB, EQUIS and Association of MBAs in China)
- South Africa: Prof. Steve Burgess, Director, NMMU Business School, Professor of Marketing (among top 3 in SA)
- Indonesia: TBD
- Turkey: Prof. Guliz Ger, Prof. of Marketing and Director, Centre for Research in Transitional Societies, Bilkant University, Turkey (oldest, number one and has produced numerous Nobel-prize laureates)
Focus/Activities of the Centre:
The focus areas for the centre would be three:
- Research & publications
- Continuous education programs (different than IIML’s regular & MDP effort)
- Networking opportunities